I quite frequently receive messages from Pageant girls asking for tips and tricks when competing and ways in which to help them win their dream titles.
While i dont pretend to know every in and out of every pageant system i do offer whatever advise i can; here are a few pointers to get you started.
* Invest in having fantastic headshots taken. A headshot photo is often the first time a judge will 'see' you so its imperitive you make a great impression!
* Never ever buy a gown simply because its in style. Buy a gown that flatters your body shape and you! If you are short then avoid dresses with splits and opt for a column styled gown as this can help to add the appearance of length to your body just as a one shoulder dress will.
Try on a range of dresses before making your final decision and if possible, buy in store and not online. This allows you to see that quality of the dress and the intricate detailing.
* Know your pageant system! Research the system! Speak with former winners! This is something i do. In the lead up to Mrs International i have spoken with not only a number of former titleholders but also previous contestants. Just because they didnt happen to win the crown it doesnt mean they didnt 'win' and they may be offer some additional insightful advice.
* Get in touch with other delegates. Reach out to them and introduce yourself. When you arrive at state or nationals you will already know some of the girls and this will enable you to relax and enjoy the experience so much more! Dont be afraid to show your personality! Thats what everyone WANTS to see!
* Dont starve yourself to try and reach a goal weight. This isnt healthy! Maintain a steady diet and exercise and remember that this is a pageant, the judges want to see a healthy contestant, not the one with the smallest waist!
* Be yourself. Stay true to you. If you were to win your title pretending to be someone else thats an image you need to uphold for your entire reign. Thats a long time to pretend.
Youve obviously made it so far based on your merit so continue with that! Besides, the real you will shine much brighter than any 'fake' ever could (just think of Diamonds v Cubic Zerconia!)
* Support each other! Helping another person doesnt make you 'weak' and it definately doesnt take away from your personal achievements. "There is no greater tool for development than the empowerment of women". By working together you would be able to achieve some amazing things.
Hope this has helped some of you a little and dont forget... Im always here to support, encourage and guide you in any way i possibly can!